In Las Vegas, A man emerged from the opposite side of the street, brandishing a large kitchen knife. Six pedestrians were injured before the man was tackled by police.
What happened in Las Vegas?
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department has arrested a suspect in connection with the fatal stabbing of 2 people and the wounding of 6 others on the Las Vegas Strip. The attack occurred at around 3:30 a.m. on Sunday, October 1, 2017, near the intersection of Las Vegas Boulevard and Flamingo Road.
Police say the suspect, who has been identified as 30-year-old Harmon Dilly, was armed with a knife when he began attacking people at random. Two men were killed in the attack and six other people, including four women and two men, were injured. Four of the victims were taken to local hospitals for treatment of their injuries.
Dilly was arrested by police after he was found hiding in a storage closet inside a nearby hotel room. He is currently being held without bail at the Clark County Detention Center on two counts of murder with a deadly weapon and six counts of attempted murder with a deadly weapon.
Who is the suspect? And where is he now?
The suspect has been identified as 32-year-old Yoni Barrios. He is currently in police custody.
The attacker’s motives
The attacker’s motives are still unknown, but authorities are investigating whether the attack was terrorism-related. The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, but it is not clear if the group actually had any involvement.
Were there any terrorist connections?
The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department has not ruled out terrorism as a possible motive in the deadly stabbing attack that occurred on the Las Vegas Strip on Sunday night.
During a press conference on Monday, Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo said that detectives are still investigating all aspects of the case and trying to determine why 21-year-old suspect Connor Clanton acted alone in attacking seven people with a knife.
Lombardo said that authorities have not found any social media posts or other evidence that would indicate that Clanton had been radicalized or inspired by terrorist ideology. However, they are not ruling out any possibility at this time.
The FBI is assisting in the investigation and officials said they will be looking into Clanton’s background and possible connections to see if there is anything that could shed light on his motive.
At least two of the victims in Sunday’s attack were killed and six others were injured, three of them critically. The incident occurred near the Planet Hollywood Resort & Casino on the Las Vegas Strip around 11:30 p.m. local time.
What do we know about the victims of the attack?
Police have not released the identities of the victims, but they are believed to be two women and four men. The attack appears to have been random, and there is no apparent motive at this time. The victims were all taken to area hospitals, where two of them later died from their injuries. Six people in total were injured in the attack.
Why was this attack stopped so quickly?
The suspect in the Las Vegas Strip stabbing attack that killed two people and injured six others has been arrested, police said.
The suspect, who has not been identified, was taken into custody early Sunday morning after the attack late Saturday night, Lt. Dan McGrath of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said at a news conference.
McGrath did not release many details about the arrest but said it happened without incident. He credited “great police work” for quickly stopping the suspect.
“I don’t have a lot of information on why (the attack) occurred,” McGrath said. “As far as I know, there’s no prior relationship between the suspect and any of the victims.”
Police were still working to determine a motive for the attack, which occurred around 10:45 p.m. Saturday on a crowded sidewalk along the busy Las Vegas Strip.
Police in Las Vegas have arrested a suspect in connection with a stabbing attack that left two people dead and six others injured. The attack occurred early Sunday morning on the Las Vegas Strip, near the Mandalay Bay hotel and casino.
The suspect has been identified as 20-year-old Alam Kingery. He is believed to have acted alone in the attack. Investigators are still trying to determine a motive for the attack.
Kingery was taken into custody without incident and is currently being held at the Clark County Detention Center. He faces two counts of murder and six counts of attempted murder.